Suomi - Finland

SUOMI - FINLAND 



The ferry to Turku
 20th June 2019

The ferry journey to Mariehamn was so enjoyable that I changed my travel plans. Instead of getting the overnight boat to Helsinki I decided to catch the day-time one to Turku as I thought it would be better than spending the journey in a cabin. Then I would stay the night in Turku before travelling across Finland to Helsinki by train. Viking line were brilliant and refunded the price of my pre-booked cabin. 
,




I spent the morning, enjoying the sunshine and having a last look around Mariehamn, before I set out to board Viking Grace again to go to Finland. When I arrived at the ferry terminal there were hundreds of school children crowded in the waiting areas, all dressed in different football kit. I found out that they came from all over Finland and Sweden to play in the Alandia Cup. An annual 7-a-side football tournament for 11-year old boys and girls held in Mariehamn with 110 different teams competing. Over the five days of the competition each team gets to play at least 6 games. So the ferry was full of children but they were very well behaved, and you hardly noticed them. 

 The Archipelago Sea



Once again the ferry sailed slowly around hundreds of islands

This part of the Baltic Sea is known as the Archipelago Sea, Saaristomeri in Finnish and Skärgårdshavet in Swedish. It is made up of the Åland and Finland archipelagos totalling over 40,000 islands. Lucy didn’t surface for the whole crossing, but later told me that she had been learning Finnish or Suomi, as it should be called. Suomi is both the Finnish name for the country and the language. I didn’t tell her that she didn’t need to learn it as most people spoke Swedish. as both Swedish and Finnish are official languages in Finland and are taught in schools. About 5 percent of the population only speak Swedish and in Helsinki all the street signs etc are in both languages. The Swedish word for Helsinki is Helsingfors. 



The Åland Islands are outside the EU custom zone so duty free alcohol is sold on board any ferry that stops at Mariehamn. The ticket price is relatively cheap, I paid  €16 fxor a five hour crossing, so lots of people from Sweden and Finland do the return trip on the ferry as a day out and stock-up with duty free. It was the eve of the Mid Summer Festival, the biggest public holiday of the year and when I got off the ferry in Turku there were people wheeling sack trucks piled to shoulder height with alcohol ready for  the Mid Summer partying. 

Arriving in Turku



It was about 8 pm when the ferry docked in Turku and the port was a few kilometres from the room that I had booked for the night. I was really pleased that I managed to sort out the public transport system and got a bus to the right place by showing the driver the location on a map on my phone. When I got off I was struck by how different the buildings looked compared to the ones in Sweden and Norway. They reminded me of when I was in Russia over 30 years ago. 



As I had changed my travel plans I booked a room at the last minute and wasn’t sure what it would be like as it was fairly cheap. It turned out to be a fabulous recently renovated, independent hotel in a former  private house built in 1902. I was very hungry when I arrived and although they didn’t have a restaurant the woman on the reception desk made me an open-sandwich, salad and cheese on rye bread with a few gherkins. I took it up to my room with a bottle of Finnish beer to watch the Netherlands v Canada Women’s World Cup game. 





My  room at the hotel in Turku.



Before she went to sleep Lucy changed her Åland flag badge for her Finland one

A train Journey across Finland and the Summer Solstice 
Friday 21st June 2019



Friday was the first day of the Finnish Midsummer celebrations and everything closed down for three days. It is held on the nearest weekend to the 24th June and this year the first day of the holiday coincided with the Summer Solstice, but was called Midsummer’s Eve in Finland. 



Because of the holiday there was a limited train service and everything was closed at the station, just a door open to the platform. But there were three trains running to Helsinki and I bought an on-line ticket for the VR inter-city express. When I arrived in Helsinki, the Tourist Information Office was closed for Midsummer, but the trams were running so I bought a 72-hour mobile travel card and went out to explore and took photos of the railway station. .





I loved the architecture of Helsinki railway station 

A couple of months ago I put a hold on an apartment in Helsinki as I knew it was the Mid Summer Weekend and it would be busy. But a few days ago I realised that the shops would be shut and it would be difficult to buy food so I changed my plans. The apartment was in a very quiet neighbourhood with few cafes etc so I looked at the map and found a hotel with a restaurant near the harbour in an area that looked more suitable for a public holiday weekend. Luckily I chose well and the location was fabulous. After I had checked in I wandered down to the harbour to see if anything was happening and managed to book a seat on a boat trip for later in the evening. 

Midsummer’s Weekend


One of the bonfires to mark the start of  the Midsummer celebrations 

Hyvää Juhannus Viikonloppuna Suomesta! Lucy tells me that is Happy Midsummer weekend from Finland. To start the weekend celebrations bonfires are lit along the coast. I tought the boat trip to see them would be mainly for tourists, but most people on board were Finnish starting their weekend partying on board. I chatted to a Finnish couple and then shared a table with Lena, a young Polish woman. She was returning to Poland on Sunday after working in Helsinki for the last couple of years, so she was able to give me a lot of advice about things to do. Most people were drinking bottles of sparkling wine but we both ordered a gin and tonic. They called it a G&T but if came in a can, was 5% proof,  mixed with grapefruit juice and cost about £12. 



On board the boat

A rare selfie, just to prove that I really did do this journey with Lucy and she hasn’t made it all up. 



Returning to Helsinki 

It was a great evening with a beautiful sunset, lots of  islands, bonfires and  good conversation. When we got off the boat Lena and I stopped at a bar before I returned to my hotel. I found that people were still partying  so I ordered a Johnnie Walker and joined them. A single shot was €15, but it was mid summer and my first proper drink since I have been away. A wonderful long first day in Finland. 

Midsummer Saturday in Helsinki 
 22nd June 2019



Like many people in Helsinki that morning, I woke up late and spent a leisurely morning lounging around at the hotel, a restored warehouse in the dock area of Helsinki. 





Photos of the hotel before restoration 



And as it is today



Lucy liked the chair in her room

Like much of Helsinki the dock area, including the hotel where I stayed has been restored to its former glory. Finland has a history of turmoil. It was dominated by Sweden from the 1300s and ceded to Russia in 1809. Independence was gained in 1917, but following defeat by the Soviet Union during WWII it was greatly influenced by Moscow until the end of the Cold War, hence the Russian architecture. 



I spent the afternoon wandering around Katajanokka, the dock and harbour area, taking photographs of architectural features: brickwork, windows, doorways etc. 





Then I returned to my hotel for the special Midsummer buffet. It was like a 4-course Christmas dinner with a huge selection of dishes to choose from. Soup, and a salad bar, then a huge sea trout, like a whole salmon and you took a chunk, served with courgettes, the inevitab gherkins and cranberries, (they come with everything) a horse radish sauce and mash. This was followed by blueberry pie with strawberries and vanilla mousse and coffee. After dinner, the light was really good so I went out again to walk off my dinner and take more photographs. 

 Three days exploring Helsinki
Sunday 23rd - Tuesday 25th June 2019



I read in a guide book that, ‘Helsinki is a city with passion for architectural design’ so I decided to concentrate on this aspect of the city. Each day I caught a tram in different directions from the city centre  to the outskirts and then hopped off at places that looked interesting on my return journey. It was also interesting to compare the buildings in the suburbs with the city centre. 



Three very different churches

Helsingin tuomiokirkko. - Helsinki Cathedral 

The cathedral was build as a tribute to  Tzar Nicholas I of Russia,





Uspenski Cathedral - The Orthodox Cathedral dsigned by the Russian  architect Aleksey Gornostavev (1808–1862). 





Temppeliaukion Kirkko - The Church of the Rock 

This church was built in the 1960s as a futuristic building carved out of the rocks with a domed copper roof. 

Senate Square 





Senate Square is the neoclassical heart of the city and most of the surrounding buildings were designed by Carl Ludvig Engel, an influential 19th century German architect who moved to Finland in the early 1800s. 

Finlandia - Talo Huset Hall





The Finlandia concert hall and home to the Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra was designed in 1962 by architect Alvar Aalto. A modernist structure taking inspiration from cubism, and forms part of Aalto’s vision for an independent Finland. 

Three Smiths Statue



I spotted this statue while I was on a tram and got off to take a photograph. It was unveiled in 1932, and depicts three naked smiths hammering on an anvil.

1952 Olympics



The Olympic stadium is being renovated so I was unable to visit it. But it gives me a reason to return to this fascinating city as there is so much more to see here 

Helsinki Pride





Rainbow flags started to go up on Monday for gay pride week. Lucy got a front seat at a concert in the grounds of the Parliament Buildings and when I returned to my hotel rainbow umbrellas were hanging in the reception area. 

Our Last day in Helsinki 
Tuesday 25th June 2015



I was booked on the overnight ferry to Estonia so I had one last day to explore Helsinki and as I had been focusing on architecture I visited the National Museum of Architecture. The ticket also gave me admission to the nearby Museum of Design. 

Overnight ferry across the Baltic

After a meal from one of the street food stalls in Market Square I went to the ferry terminal to get the overnight boat to Estonia.  









Lucy loved the little cabin on the ferry to Estonia. Especially the chair that was almost her size. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eesti Vabariik - The Republic of Estonia